Saturday 21 July 2007

Ontario/ just east of Ignace

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Huge trucks dominate the highway. One driver stopped his machine to talk. Chris is from Winnipeg. He asked if I was Buddhist. “No I’m part of the parent tradition. I’m a Hare Krishna.”

He reminded me that I’m rare on the highway. “Yes, pedestrians are rare and a person in robes- rarer still.”

“You are not wearing thick clothes. Is this mind over matter?” he continued half jokingly. “When you walk at a good clip you just warm up. As far as mental control goes, I am working on that principal through chanting.”

I mentioned that his name Chris was a good name and that it brings on good fortune. I thanked him for stopping and giving me a boost.

I also met a man who stopped early in the morning. He remarked the same as Chris about it being odd to see a monk. I encouraged him when he said he was a preacher and that he was hoping to open his own church in the local town (Ignace).

Today Yovany got his thrill when walking. The soft forest moss caused his feet to sink down an easy two inches. He also saw his first snow. He became like a kid and tossed a snowball in the air only to see it fall apart in the air.

On a pinching right knee, I managed a whopping 40 kms.

Darshan Doug is suffering from inflammation at the ankles but without walking. It is a recent injury that he has carried from before the trip. He’s making a big sacrifice.

40kms

No comments: