Saturday 21 July 2007

Ontario/ Kapuskasing

Monday, June 18, 2007

Kapuskasing is the name of a small city (pop. 9500) in Northern Ontario. The name means 'the bend in the river,' in the Ojibway language. People call it the Kap for short. James Cameron, film director of The Titanic and writer of The Terminator, was born here.

I met a retired Siberian woman who settled here in 1951. She told me of how her life is blessed and how she reminds her grandchildren of the need to vbe grateful for what you've got.

I also met Bob, who was curious about my "salmon-coloured robes." Bob is a little bitter with life but moving on. He is proceeding with a divorce from his wife who he claims has had numerous affairs. He was apprehensive about spirituality but was willing to consider it at life's end. In the meantime, he was intent on a continued life of morality.

Victoria, however, was very interested. She saw me walking the other day and again today. She decided to find out what a monk is made of. She is happy with her new found Jesus. She's never heard the word Hare Krishna before.

"Jesus is the son. Krishna is the father. We are looking at one spiritual family," I explained. Speaking of family, Victoria comes from a family of 21 siblings.

Kevin, from the Northern Times newspaper interviewed me, and Maxime, from french radio station CKGN FM, heard from me about the power of mantras.

42 kms


No comments: