Saturday 21 July 2007

Ontario/Manitoba border

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I started part two of CanWalk #3 noticing the pool of blood. A young fox dared the road just feet away from the Ontario border. It was a recent hit. The blood was fresh. This is what the highway is-a place of living and moving travel but it is also a place of standstill, of frozenness and death. I am so impactfully reminded of this on this first day. The previous day was a record 30 C, but today is greeted with a north wind although sunny. Keewatin is a Cree word for north wind, according to a monument I read in Winnipeg two days prior. I do meet with warmth though.

Officer Grier is curious. “What are you doing?”
“It’s a cross country walk—a third one. A pilgrimage. I am a monk, a Hare Krishna.”
“I’ve never heard.”
“The Broadway production Hair?”
“I’ve heard of that.”
“There you hear people chanting. The mantra was brought to America in the sixties but it’s actually an old tradition.”
“I just wanted to make sure you’re safe. These truckers, you’ve got to watch them.”
“Please, can you let all the officers in your area know what I am doing?” I asked.
“I sure will,” Said the officer.

I met Kyle from Shaw TV. He took lots of footage. He climbed a steep rock and shot from above. Then he asked lots of questions. He also asked about my footwear. ‘Holy Soles’ is what they call them. They are actually Crocs, my favorite. Shelley Bujold from the Kenora Daily Miner came out. Questions and photos.

A couple of local guys stopped. They offered a ride, water, food.
“No thanks, you’ve given me your time, your warmth.”
“Have you seen any wildlife today?”
“Humans.” I answered.
They told of the wolf packs close to town. One deer was recently attacked by eleven wild dogs right near town and it raised a concern.

I also met Steve from Ottawa. He is west-coast bound. He had worked in construction for years, then went homeless for six months sleeping in 40 below weather. “It’s time for a change,” he said, as he continued hitching a ride.

Revati Prananatha das, from Edmonton, Alberta, was my support driver for the day. He was most helpful. I owe him so much.

I lay to rest in my little tent, fatigued but so content.

44 kms

No comments: