Monday 20 August 2007

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 Dorion, Quebec
Just beyond the bushes I heard tires screech, followed by a crash and then human voices boisterously confrontational. This is a common enough occurrence on the road and the sight of it seconds after the impact convinced me once again of the merit behind walking as the safest mode of travel. There appeared to be no human injury, only a volley of words between the motorists involved.
The scene of the accident (at rush hour when no one is able to rush) was Ile de Perrot just next to Ile de Montreal. Yes I'm now in Quebec finally with one day's reminder of backtracking in Ontario. The reason for the shuffle was that Doug's van needed mechanical attention (the starter failed). A visitor to the Montreal temple, Jean Andre Gallant, was my assistant for the day. Jean was a former Rainbow Gathering participant, meaning that he was one of those carefree-spirited tribal culturalists and now the Bhagavad Gita's read had adjusted his ways so that chanting, eating blessed vegetarian food and monk association are now his ministry.
One fellow, Carey, saw saffron flash in the air after crossing one of the bridges on Highway 20. He turned his car around, caught up to me and inquired as to why I was where I was. He had been to the temple on an ongoing basis but disagreement with administration deterred him from coming. I encouraged him to keep up the activity of chanting and to let bygones be bygones. "Visit the temple when possible and take a break from mundane consciousness."
I had experienced a good day starting from the Quebec border trekking through towns surrounded by cornfields and ending at passionate passageways.
My visit to Vancouver over the weekend proved to be enriching for me and I'm now back en route while so many people find themselves in the car rut.
When you're in a rut you can rot.
50 kms

No comments: