Thursday 23 August 2007

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 Chambly, Quebec

Tuesday, August 20, 2007 Chambly, Quebec
I was always fascinated by bridges. For years I wanted to tackle the Jacques Cartier bridge because of its expansiveness over the St. Lawrence River. It certainly allowed me to see Montreal from a different perspective.
My walking companion today was Simon, a young musician who has played with bands on large ocean cruises. We spent considerable time chanting the Maha-mantra together to many melodies. Amongst the folks who stopped today nwas Sylvain Oulette of Marieville. He was thrilled to see us. I also met Nicholas Dubois of the 'Journal de Chambly,' a french newspaper. Yes, we are now in French Canada. One of today's milestones was Billie the parrot's introduction to french. Doug greeted some passerbys with a kind hello to which they responded "bonjour" at which point Billie replied "Bonjour.'
In the evening at the ISKCON Montreal centre we held a discussion about the soul's nature to be uniquely different from other souls, yet each soul shares similarities as well as individualities. Hence the philosophy of unity and diversity applies.
My day ended with a short walk chatting with two youth, Nanda and Manjari, and getting a good massage from two Bengali monks, Sachinandan and Antardwipa.
My weekend visit to the Georgetown, Guyana's first ever Festival of the Chariots was quite enjoyable. While there I met Georgetown's mayor, Guyana's Minister of Agriculture, and a prominent Muslim leader.
37 kms

No comments: