Friday 7 September 2007

Mon., Sept. 3, 2007 Emerald, Prince Edward Island

The wind was ever present today. At times it even howled hauntingly. I started from Summerside. While still dark, I met an officer. He was curious and indicated that people on the island may not understand my purpose. I asked him, "How is crime these days?"
"It's up," he responded.
"Drugs?"
"That's 75% of the problem," he said
"That's what my message is about. If spirituality and God consciousness was to be even a small part of everyone's life it could temper the bad habits."
I did meet many people on the Confederation Trail (an old railway line converted to a walking/ bike path) who did appreciate power walking. Of course, this is what they were doing. In general, Prince Edward Island is pretty, very agricultural (45% rural folks) and conservative. There are world class beaches here. The soil is red. The terrain is rolling hills. It's called the land of Anne. Canada's most famous novel, 'Anne of Green Gables' originates from here. Stompin' Tom Connors, a famous singer songwriter grew up on this island of 100,000 people
Kerry Campbell of CBC Radio came to the trail for an interview. Questions were related to the walk. Doug and I mentioned that tomorrow is Janmastami, Krishna's birthday. Kerry asked about that and then requested that I chant a mantra. So I did, I chanted "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare."
Our accomodations are with a family of South Indians. Professor Hariharan is a teacher at the University. His wife works with the Government. We are very grateful to them, they are wonderful people.
39 kms

No comments: