Sunday 4 November 2007

CUBA

Mon. Oct 1/07
Edwardo is a young muscular black man who spotted me walking along Malecon Ave. He decided to join me. He was friendly, spoke some English and offered to be a self appointed guide to parts of the city. He asked for nothing and respected that I was “praying on the rosario”, (as he put it). He stayed with me a good while. I believe he just wanted some company and generally finds himself a bit lost. I met a woman at the Indian embassy who wanted to talk. Her complaint was on behalf of capitalism. Complaining goes on everywhere. There is no greater contagious disease. Whether in the first, second or third world, whining is all pervasive and it means usually that we don’t count blessings.
I would also rate gossip on par with complaints. Yes, two diseases that keep us firmly in illusion’s grip are rumour-mongoring and whining.
Evenings are spent chanting with people. I usually beat a rhythm to the mrdunga drum, lead the chant and have a good rest after the work out.
10kms.

No comments: