Friday 23 November 2007

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 Winnipeg, Manitoba
I guess I reiterate the case of the robes and how they are so eye-catching. They excite or alert the people who notice them. About three years ago I visited Orlando, Florida and stayed with a monk colleague, Trivikrama Swami, an American who took to monastic life as a Hare Krishna devotee in the late 60's. I ventured off on my own, walking through downtown. As I was nearing the core of the city, I was approached by a young chap who pulled over in his vehicle. He was a photographer, Michael Brown, on assignment for National Geographic covering the side of Mickey Mouse's domain that you never see. Michael asked me if I would be interested in being photographed viewing some of the sites of the city, both good and bad. I agreed and so the following day we roamed around the city for hours in various neighbourhoods with Mike clicking away on his state-of-the-art camera. Between shots we naturally talked about our different lifestyles with mutual respect. The photos never did appear in the National Geographic, but my point is that robes, comprised of dhoti, kurta and chadar, caught this young proffesional's eye, leading to a friendship.
While taking my daily walk in Winnipeg, this time on Portage Avenue again, I met a woman who was thrilled to spot the robes.
"Are you Hare Krishna?" she inquired.
"Yes I am," I replied.
"I have a sister in the movement. Her name is Sanga. And I'm Tracy....."
The robes did it again.
This evening I did a talk and slide show at a venue on Maryland Street. "Pilgrim power" was highlighted. The attendance was skimpy to start off with but eventually the room filled up. My objective was to attempt to mentally take the audience on the road and try to see the world differently.
7 kms

No comments: