Saturday 7 June 2008

Monday, May 26th, 2008

Monday, May 26th, 2008 – Toronto, Ontario

On Bloor St. in front of an outdoor bar an elderly Czek Republic settled in Canada in ’69 admitted he was a dentist having a few drinks. He stood up as he saw me, stretched out his hand to shake mine and said “ I know you stand for peace and I really appreciate that…” He didn’t seem to want to let me go. His wife sitting across from his small table empathized. Eventually his kind words and gestures came to a close.
Moments later on Spadina St. a young man let his tow female companions walk on ahead of him. He stopped to talk. “Are you religious?” he asked.
“Trying to be”
“Do you believe in God?” “Most certainly!” I responded.
He outstretched his arms and I read that well. A hug followed and he went on his way.
The mid afternoon game me and a peer monk, Purnachandra Swami, a New York born student of Srila Prabhupada, a chance to get time walking in a ravine. There the two of us met the less frequent pedestrian. We would chat about the things important to us such as what is going on in the place where we each reside. Purnachandra is mostly active in Russia teaching there and offering seminars in the field of bhakti, devotion and the subject of building healthy relationships.
Whether in devotional circles such as our communities or in the secular workd establishing meaningful relationships is critical in making life successful. It is next to impossible to function without basic human support.
I feel very good to have this in my life.

13 Km

No comments: