Sunday 19 October 2008

Friday, October 10th, 2008

Fri., Oct.10/08 - Lake Shebandowan, Ontario, Canada

On my flight to Thunder Bay the fellow sitting next to me expressed interest in my garb and what it stood for.

“I’m a monk who has roots coming from an ancient culture from India.”

The young man is employed as an analyst for the government (dealing with stats and such) mentioned he was raised Catholic but wasn’t sure about the concept of afterlife. “No one has ever proven it! Even Jesus, I think he could be a myth.”

To the best of my ability I offered this thought, “each and everyone of us have the urge to enjoy permanently. We don’t want to die. That essential and innate inner drive “to exist eternally” never dissipates. It’s the principal that leads us on to believe that there is such a thing as an undying spark of life called the atma or the soul. After the body sheds….

“As far as Jesus is concerned whether you want to believe in whether he roamed the earth at one time or not we can well appreciate his universal messages of truth, “Love your neighbour as yourself”, is a healthy directive, someone spoke it. “Personally I accept him as one of my gurus.”

My new friend found that interesting and proceeded to put headphones on, listening to his favorite music I imagined.

The walking today was comprised of almost nothing. I’m here to assist in the co-ordination of an AGM - Annual General Meetings, for our small group of about 20 people consisting of monks and family folks who have assumed spiritual leadership.

1 Km

No comments: