Thursday 2 October 2008

Tuesday, October 1st, 2008

Tues. Oct. 1/08 - Alberta to Ontario

In the park in the dark a light object had bounced around in front of me. It was a hare, a large rabbit, showing the sign of the season’s change with his new white coat. Other rabbits I spotted this week strutted about in their brown furs but with each transitional day the coming snow camouflage shows itself in a more pronounced way.

As the darkness dissipated to show the morning sun and after locating my seat 6F on a Westjet flight back home, rich brown colours of agrarian patches revealed themselves below. By the time our aircraft reached Saskatchewan, when I looked out again I would see fresh harvested fields and then a white spill in a designated spot. Ah yes! That’s the salt mill. I walked there twice, in 96’ and 2003. The nearby lake and highway looking miniature triggered in me a road-lust from the past. I admit to liking the ground better than being thousands of feet up in the air.

An hour later or so colours disappeared. A layer of cloud blocked the sun’s rays from above and below another layer of cotton mass engulfed the space. Before long deep greens became visible and dashes of maple red along with blocks of buildings in greys and rust tones. As we descended into the Toronto airport and hit the gripping runway I felt thankful to have the eyes to be entertained by diverse displays of colour. Thank-you creator.

3.5 Km

No comments: