Tuesday 23 December 2008

Thursday, December 18th, 2008

Havana, Cuba

At the airport an elderly man, a tourist from Canada, expressed that he was disheartened with his visit and that he has re-routed his vacation for Mexico. I on the other hand, enjoyed my stay. Apart from the heavy black car emissions spewing out from vintage cars I rather love Cuba. It’s much like India. There are environmental issues that make it uncomfortable but people are generally sweet. My mind gravitated back to the previous night’s event in Matanzas. There were these incredible lit up faces and bodies swaying to the beat. All were moving like the Cuban royal palm trees caught dancing in the coastal breeze. It was beautifully synchronized and with no rehearsal.

On my return flight I watched on the airline screen “March of the Penguins” the first time. I had been hurting a bit in the thighs from the morning’s walk but when viewing those pilgrims/penguins take up there austerity my trivial pain vanished, when they slide on their bellies. They were getting me fired up. My walks at the Malecon, rests at my room, the talks at different homes and other venues with casual meetings and greetings with people of what is often a misunderstood place have been most fulfilling. I look forward to the next venture there. Adios Cuba!

7 Km

No comments: