Thursday 22 January 2009

Friday, January 16th, 2009

Huston, Texas

I shared a house with a real gentleman, Tamhohara, who goes by some non-sanskrit name in the secular world. He was formerly a Dean in a Chicago university for several years and since then has turned to fulltime service in the Krishna Consciousness movement. I asked him how he found the transition to which he responded, “the university is superior in organization and there is unlimited facility”.

It has been a common joke amongst peers that if people are somewhat opposed to organized religion then they will like ours. For both Tomohara, the Krishna North American chairperson and myself hope that in the near future that will become a joke of the past.

To the 34th Street I went directly towards Ella Blvd. I came upon a crew of workers on a break sitting outside their workplace. The predominant Hispanic and black guys asked what I’m carrying. I crossed the street happily to answer their question.
“It’s a bag holding meditation beads for chanting, (pause) I guess you guys thought I had a Texas gun in here “ as I pulled out the beads.
“It did cross my mind “, said one fellow. The guys all broke out in a scream of laughter.

In the evening I became acquainted with our local youth to engage them in one of those quick production plays. We sat in a circle.
“We are going to put on a drama called, “The Witness.” It’s a great story of devotion and we will work some long hours tonight and Saturday. Are you guys troupers or party poopers?”
“Troupers!” they responded.
And we got serious.
8 Km

No comments: