Wednesday 14 January 2009

Monday, January 12th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When night opens a fresh change is ignited. A new optimism is felt. Pedestrians walk speedily in this mood. Also if you want to keep warm you must walk with a hustle. Some young men have figured it out at College Park in the downtown. I heard from the distance a hockey puck crash against a wall with hockey sticks clattering about. These men on skates with their enthusiasm had overcome the January temperature. They were smart. While playing hockey they kill the chill.

Others kept warm inside a Starbucks coffee shop. At a senior’s home a large window revealed silver-haired folks taking well to their evening dinner keeping themselves warm and toasty. Another window to the food business with big yellow arches showed young voracious eaters chomping at Big Mac’s and sipping tumblers of cold fizzy drinks. A bad diet!

With these images flashing before me I felt the strength to have no such allurements for warmth or eating. Soft utterance of the maha mantra and a speedy pace on foot allows all the buzz to pass by me. And for company well that’s been reality for the whole course of the day, so I had my break before returning for bed.

The only thing is I couldn’t sleep. It’s that weekly insomnia attack again. Oh well! There’s plenty to do until the beautiful hour before the dawn’s cracking.

A friend e-mailed a message today, which read, “Handle your present with confidence and prepare for the future without fear”.

12 Km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your bouts with insomnia ... the good news is that it generally becomes less frequent after attaining the age of 60. When I was dealing with such things, I would just get up and do absolutely the most boring thing I could possible do ... sit on the couch and watch TV. Today I own no TV ... and my sleep is improved!