Wednesday 28 October 2009

Sunday, October 25th, 2009

Wishing Richness For Others

Ottawa, Ontario

Back in the summer of 2006 I had another one of those wishes when I let my feet pass through a prairie city. It was not different from any other desire when an impulse of compassion hit me wanting to see souls have the opportunity for a better crack at life: The “better” I refer to is the practice of spirituality. How can life have any depth when devoid of a spiritual component. How can there be richness in life when there is only the mundane to contend with day after day?

What drives a spiritualist wild from time to time is when he/she sees others not having that rich experience nor the taste nor willingness to try. I was in such a mode of thinking for people when I walked through the city of Saskatoon in 2006.

I happily accepted a ride from Kasyapa, an engineer who lives west of Toronto, to the nation’s capital city, Ottawa. There on Somerset East a modest temple hosts a Sunday program and I was the expected guest speaker.

The unique thing about Kapyapa is that he had just days ago accepted an employment position in the city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, where we have virtually no presence of Krishna Consciousness. Kapyapa and his wife, Pancami, have been running a successful weekly Bhakti-Vrksa (a desire tree program) for spiritual education for children and adults. His accepting the job offer means a loss for Toronto West but a Saskatoon gain since the couple anticipate to introduce Bhakti Vrksa to the new frontier. Naturally the couple will leave their current devotional services for others to take over.

It is a wish fulfilled that a remote town in a vast prairie will receive the lofty teachings of the Bhagavat-Gita. I’m looking forward to regular visits there from here on. I’ll fly there of course.

8 Km

No comments: