Monday 16 November 2009

Saturday, November 14th, 2009

Deathly Ways

Halifax, Nova Scotia

It had been all over the news. A tragic occurrence along a wilderness trail of northern Nova Scotia at Cape Breton. A young woman at 19 was attacked by two coyotes in an unprecedented scene. She was left with a series of vicious bites and left to lie with loss of blood before she was discovered by walkers nearby. She lost her life before reaching the hospital. Little is known why the wild dogs became so aggressive.

It makes you stop to wonder how very precarious life is even in what appears as a peaceful environment. You can never be too sure. The book Bhagavatam states padam padam yad vipadam na tesam, "In this world there is danger at every step."
When flying off to Nova Scotia to see our brahmacaris (monks) in their new location on Quinpool Road I had contemplated on this mishap. I was compelled to reflect on death when the woman from Halifax next to me in the plane asked, "Is this Hare Krishna?"

I said, "Yes it is!"

"I'll tell you my Hare Krishna story," she said. "Just before my Dad's passing in the hospital he was wearing orange. I asked what the color was all about and he responded by saying 'Hare Krishna Hare Krishna...' ."

I was rather flabbergasted by her brief story. I thought that here was the perfect story- a story of a remarkable way to depart from the world. We spoke little after that. She got wrapped up in the flight cinema. I was content to know that the man's parting was rather favourable. According to Vedic culture hearing mantras is the greatest omen when leaving the body.

I wish that the young woman attacked by the coyotes had at least good thoughts and is on her way to a better existence.

6 Km

No comments: