Sunday 29 November 2009

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009

Atlanta Airport

Martin Luther King, the remarkable man who left a legacy of hope became the subject of display at what they call the world’s busiest airport, Atlanta. I just bumped into the exhibit on my way to the Gate E. His suit worn when meeting President Johnson and a photo of his interior showing an enlarged picture of Gandhi are part of the display. It’s moving to see these and other items.

As I sat down waiting for my flight to Buenos Aires, CNN blared out news of America and India making formal alliances between President Obama and Prime Minister Singh. Some of my friends who are conspiracy theorist will have their strong opinions about this apparent alliance. Let them talk and speculate to their heart’s content.

Before further bombardment from CNN I learned of the airports chapel location and went on my feet to the modest room. As you walk in you see on a shelf the Bible, the Koran and the Bhagavad-gita As It Is. I beamed to see that Gita there. The room was empty but the page I opened to was full of power and revelation, verse 7.9 about seeing divinity in the earth’s fragrance and the heat in fire.

In addition to what I saw and read and heard at the airport I was taken by surprise to spot a dear God sister of mine, Anand Dasi, from Florida, who was en route to India. We begged for each other’s blessing that our journeys would be successful.

The other thing I would say in praise of the world’s largest airport is that it’s a good distance walk to go from one concourse to another. After all it wasn’t so long ago that airports and Hare Krishna’s had something in common with each other?

2km

No comments: