Tuesday 29 December 2009

Friday, December 25th, 2009

Not Too Much Santa Here

Havana, Cuba

I can’t recall a Christmas day without snow and commercial songs of this truly tainted season. I have always admired Jesus, this cool Jewish fellow, as I have Saint Nicholas. As far as Santa Claus is concerned, well, Coca Cola company, can have him back. Christmas is spoiled. Bah! Humbug!”

My parents of Dutch ancestry had told me that New England took the saint, Nicholas, and whipped up this configuration of a mispronounced name to become the man in red that he is. How true their rendition is of the popular hero I’m not sure, but I am inclined to believe that with corporate influence, any deception is possible. Santa is fake. I believe there are greater real live heroes that inspire children.

On the Malecon, a large lit-up star atop a lined and also lit tree formation is accompanied by the Jewish Hanukah symbol. While walking by the decorations in front of an eight storey U.S. edifice, guards tell our group to cross the road. For security reasons, no one can walk at arms length along the U.S. office wall. Also, an elaborate nativity scene is set perched high from the interior of a large cathedral near our accommodation. Other than that, visible signs of a childhood Christmas are rarely present. I don’t hear the recording of “Fa la la la la - la la la la!” blaring out anywhere, which is a relief.

Our small group is committed to chanting our mantra in hushed volumes on our beads while walking. Personally, I don’t miss the commercialized Christmas at all. The spirit is amiss. I’m sorry if I sound like a humbugger.

3 Km

No comments: