Friday 29 January 2010

Monday, January 25th, 2010

Trinidad: a new trail

Port –of –Spain: Trinidad

I landed with Caribbean airline on Trinidadian soil at 5 am. By 7 am I had been picked up at the Port-of–Spain airport by a learning devotee.

Data something or the other, I will refer to him as ‘Data base’ a type of person who keep in touch with all people. I told Data base that I will not bathe but begin a walk as soon as possible. In honour of the earthquake victims of Haiti. I mention that I couldn’t afford to waste time showering as each moment that passes here leads closer to the inferno.

Temperature here rises to 34 degrees celcius. He agreed by 10 am you will need to be peeled off the pavement after melting on it. “I’m a polar bear” I explained.

I was sorry to have missed my Canadian friends, a couple, Partha and Uttama. What bad timing! Their flight was at 6 am. I Just missed them. I was curious to find out from them how their seminar on “tightening the bonds that free us” went. Their explanation about reinforcement of strong family values have a strong impact wherever they go.

In a class I was asked to give at the Chaguanas' Temple ,I registered that stable family attract people to our communities. ”You may have a great philosophy, but when you have a strong back bone in the shape of strong family values in practice then you have something much more appealing to offer”.

Now I am known as the Walking Monk and not involved in a personal relationship where familial ties is concerned. But still I would like to see families and communities function as they should. What a great time I had at that Temple while chanting. My only regret for that day was blisters that had developed while breaking in new sandals.

I shouldn’t fail to mention that one fellow we met while walking stopped his car and shouted out “What’s your message?”.

He got out of his car to greet me. I told him “It’s a pilgrimage, a prayerful walk for victims of the earthquake”. At that remark he blurted out ”its focus whose the answer, Jesus and only Jesus”. “I have no problem with Jesus, he used to walk…”

“Jesus, was the only word coming from his mouth, as he roared out his name. It was my cue to continue walking knowing there was no aptitude for a conversation.
Oh well, at least he came to greet me.

18 Km

No comments: