Friday 5 February 2010

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010

"A Neat Return"

Guyana/Canada

To put some miles under my feat on ground level before taking all those miles in the air I took to the road at 5AM from Crane to the outskirts of Georgetown. As light showed itself I saw a green bird entering a green tree and remain a green bird. This analogy is told by the saint Bhaktivinode Thakur which defies the philosophical theory of the soul's merging into nothingness as it reaches liberation. The soul will always remain as such, so the Gita tells. It cannot be dissolved.

My second thrill for the morning was seeing this black dude run backwards. I could see he was training. What was unique about it was that he was doing the same thing last year near the same spot. He recognized me from last year when I did the Guyanese trek and I, of course, recognized him.

Thrill #3 was walking over that rickety old floating bridge over the Demarara River. It was a good half hour plodding that thing over a river with such mighty force.

Although Krishna monks are less visible than previously (so people say) the public knows us. Motorists yell out with a positive "Haribol" from their vehicles.

My return flight worked out well as far as keeping enlivened is concerned. My next-door neighbour-passenger was a woman from the Red Cross and she was on her way to Toronto for a conference on Child Abuse Prevention. It's a topic I'm always keen on learning more and hoping to contribute to in some way.

All is good!

13 Km

No comments: