Thursday 18 March 2010

Wednesday, March 17th, 2010

Patrick, Al and the Mantra

Toronto, Ontario

Students from U of T, the country’s largest university, frequently walk through Queen’s Park to reach various building on campus. It was the perfect spot for our little chanting party. Naturally we were trying to give the mantra exposure. Three out of the five of us wore robes, the remaining two had civilian clothes. Students were curious.

It was St. Patrick’s Day. I knew that I could put the mantra to “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” but I thought my co-chanters would struggle with that tune. We settled for the tune to “Amazing Grace.” Incidentally, Patrick is the name of on of our chanters and he very much approved. In fact, the melody blew him away.

When we completed our session, Dwija Gauranga, a super-monk from our local ashram, and I noticed a large bronze statue of Canadian poet, Al Purdy, near our chanting spot. Here’s a poem which at the end reflects some truth from the Gita regarding thoughts that carry over into the next existence.

The Last Picture in the World

A hunched grey shape
framed by leaves
with lake water behind
standing on our
little point of land
like a small monk
in a green monastery
meditating

almost sculpture
except that it’s alive
brooding immobile permanent
for half an hour
a blue heron
and it occurs to me
that if I were to die at this moment
that picture would accompany me
wherever I am going
for part of the way

7 KM

No comments: