Saturday 3 April 2010

Sunday, March 28th, 2010

“Not Square”

Durban, South Africa

It is my good fortune to engage in this bhakti yoga process with members of our youth. After arriving from another long plane ride, I was able to dive right into an orientation with potential actors, dancers and teckies for two drama presentations to be staged in less than a week at the Durban’s annual Chariot Festival. For a full day we rehearsed after sorting out from volunteers who will do what. My physical body was tired but my attention was strong because of the excitement in the air.

I’m anticipating a great show this year, my 11th year in attendance. We will promise a new piece, “The three lives of Bharat.” Laghu Hari, a monk in vibrant saffron from Cape Town, came early to assemble these animal marionettes for the drama. Not only is he a good brahmacari, he’s a professional at puppet-making. In brief, the story of Bharat is about a king who while in his maturing asceticism, becomes fond of a deer. It is a strong attachment he has for the creature. By providence he goes through transmigration to the form of a deer in his next life.

Anyways, I’m having a ball, or a riot, or a blast (whatever is the most suitable word!). I can be a monk and express creativity to no limit. Like I mentioned to the crowd in Dubai one day earlier, “The average person lives in a square, goes to work in a square, while wearing a suit that’s square. He/she sits by a square desk, with a square laptop. When you open it up, it is two squares and one is proud that, ‘Here I am king of squares!’ (Laughter)

I expressed that I feel satisfied being in a monks sandal’s. I don’t feel square at all.

9 KM

No comments: