Wednesday 26 May 2010

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010

Good Press

Winnipeg Manitoba

It excites me when I see Krishna devotees mentioned in the news. For example, some of our monks and lay members were declared 'heroes of the week' in Vancouver for the distribution of that good ol' prasadam (blessed veggies) on television.

I also snipped out of the Chronicle Journal newpaper from Thunder Bay an article highlighting its Yoga fest and our showing of the play "Lonely People". And when I arrived here at Winnipeg, Vrinda, the stalwart guardian of our vibrant and quaint centre, handed me on of the more recent editions of The New Wine Press Collection, a publication for the Catholic Winnipeg Archdiocese, which focused on an Interfaith program. At that event I was the honoured guest speaker giving a presentation on the traditional nine devotional paths. I recall after the event was over how listeners appreciated the universality of or Vedic culture.
Lo and behold the media struck Krishna once again (gently) when CNN announced the list of the most successful people who made it big after 50. Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, came #7. It was around his birthday at 69 when he came penniless to America off the Jaladuta boat and started what was to be a fledgling society of Krishna monastics and married folks.

It was all good news.

7 KM

No comments: