Monday 31 January 2011

Monday, January 31st, 2011

Luckiest Man

Toronto, Ontario

I had actually surprised myself with moving forward walking at practically a normal pace easily on Sunday morning. That I did again early this day, as the healing from surgery is occurring. What compelled me on to trek at midnight was tummy problems. I had engaged so much in conversations with guests before, during and after the Open House Sunday program. I had actually forgotten about eating at the Sunday feast only until it was too late.

A monk is in ecstasy when talking about spiritual matters. There is a greater adrenaline from that than eating.

By the time the program was over, the kitchen was a Mother Hubbard's Cupboard. All was devoured except for some thick dahl soup and rice, not what you want to put in your stomach before going to bed. My meal for the day, by circumstance, was a bit of greasy broccoli and later, black cherry juice. Well, my bowels were encountering a whole new experience while lying down. If you combine the 1st, 2nd World Wars and Kuruksetra War on top of that, you might get the picture of explosions going on inside. The cure? Walk! And for hunger pangs? Find someplace that's open that may have snacks. Both tasks were accomplished and a third japa chanting.

I walked past the Bata Shoe Museum. I thought about some of the exhibits inside. On display are shoes of some celebs like Elton John, Marilyn Monroe and Tiger Woods. I thought again, "Would I trade my life for the lives of any of them?" And the answer to that is, NO!

Life! I'm loving it, even with an eruptive stomach from time to time, when sleep gets disrupted. I'm the luckiest man in the world and wouldn't trade it for anything.

No comments: