Wednesday 6 April 2011

Monday, April 4th, 2011

Some Students

Toronto, Ontario

Isn't it profound that when you allow something so subtle into your life, something spiritual and light that you become more grounded, more stable?

Such was our message to a group of students form George Brown College who came as part of their training in the hospitality and nursing field. Their curriculum includes becoming acquainted with people of different cultural diversities. Our temple was chosen as one of their destinations.

As I was making my presentation I had a young brahmachari monk right next to me. I addressed the group saying, "If this young man in his robes comes to your restaurant or if he happens to be your patient, he will not want onions on his plate, he'll avoid garlic, meat, fish and eggs. In addition to that just to let you know he won't be ordering whiskey or any such thing. He's clean. He doesn't gamble. And one day he just may get married and organize a family planning program."

At the last remark he blushed a little displaying a wholesome degree of bashfulness. I asked him if he would follow me, the maestro, in kirtan chanting. He enthusiastically picked up his mrdunga drum and holding as if carefully handling a baby, started to tap it proceeded to expertly play it. The group responded to his percussion and to my chanting.

They seemed sublime and it seemed they understood that the lightness of chanting, the ultimate in spiritual expression, provides a kind of groundedness. It makes you feel safe.

Once the group departed, went for their coats and gethered to fetch their shoes and expressed their appreciations, I then left the building too - for a walk, of course, catching spring air and doing my legs a favour.

It felt great! I felt light and grounded!

7 KM

No comments: