Saturday 4 June 2011

Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

To Ottawa

Highway 401/416, Ontario

Anthony and I descended the temple stairs of the temple to walk to the UTS University of Toronto School where we would be picked up by a student teacher for the overnight car ride to Ottawa, a smooth four and a half hour sail on asphalt. We chose to save money, which in my case doesn’t belong to me. All that you do in the life of a monk is to function on behalf of your guru. Nothing belongs to you, even the funds that you carry or hold in the bank belongs to the guru. You do what you can to be frugal.

Instead of spending $78 on a one-way bus fare or $100 plus on a train or $300 on a plane, if you can spare $30 for a shared car ride then that’s what you do. The principle is nirmana, nothing is mine.

When Anthony and I did reach our pick up spot to meet the driver, Patrick, we hauled our meager luggage into his automobile’s trunk after which Anthony graciously insisted on paying my $30 as well as his. Another passenger, Carrine, drove along with us. Patrick noticed my robes, a freshly dyed new set of clothes, but my vocation didn’t interest him and so c’est la vie, that’s life. Being a Phys Ed student and teacher he did take some interest in my marathon walks across Canada and other countries. But the conversation went only so deep. So be it.

Some folks tread deep waters. Some wade in where it’s shallow.

Before dosing off I reflected on my last impressionable image as Anthony and I left Govinda’s Dining Room at the temple. Under the facilitation of instructor, Rami Bleckt, seventy Russian enthusiasts of the Ayur Veda science sat with eyes closed chanting the maha-mantra “Hare Krisha Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare. “

I believe they were absorbing their peace.

4 Km

No comments: