Thursday 16 February 2012

Friday, February 10th, 2012

In Anticipation

Mayapura, W. Bengal

It was an early rise for me. I poked around with curiosity on the mind
with a meandering purpose on the legs. What new pathways should I find
on the campus this year? My apparent whim eventually led me to the
samadhi of our guru, Srila Prabhupada. It was 4 am.

I had this impassioned desire to lead the chant at arati (worship)
time. There was 10 minutes to go. I was clearing my throat in
preparation for this oppurtunity. I had observed from the day before
there seems to be no set schedule so let me jump for the chance. The
acoustics are phenomenal for vocals alone.

Another swami entered into this large cavernous room with domed
ceiling at elevation. The size and shape invokes a beautiful
reverence. I was prepared to sing in this heavenly space, but what if
my monk friend also wants to take the lead?

The pujari priest blew the conch with an uproarious sound. Three blows
is the standard number before the ornate doors open to reveal a divine
brass deity of Srila Prabhupada. The swami and I and three dozen more
pilgrims offered our prostrations. We all stood up and I, in
anticipation of leading, said to my dear swami friend, "How about if I
sing this morning and you take tomorrow's time slot?" When I offered
my suggestion I outstretched my arms gesturing to him. It seems that
he didn't hear me but did register my body language. As far as he was
concerned I was queuing him to lead. So he did - lead. And I ate
humble pie, as the expression goes.

7 Km

No comments: