Wednesday 1 February 2012

Monday, January 30th, 2012


Going Back

Over Atlantic Air

Bhakta Bolo stood tall at the entrance of the Georgetown Airport.  As the only active young black member in the Guyanese community (that I could see), he seemed to stand out from the rest of the send-off party.  It was farewell hugs for all.

At security a woman asked me to open my luggage.  She got a real charge over seeing my five finger Vibram shoes packed inside.  It was a novelty for her.  Seeing a monk was not new to her though.  On a less formal note she asked how long I’ve been monking it up.

“Since ‘73”.

That remark raised her eyebrows a second time. 

The day went on.  Only long corridors at the Miami Airport gave some solace to the soles.  Thanks to the thrill of Florida election talks, blaring out of the CNN monitor.  The political race may sound exciting for some but how many times must the same message be repeated over and over again.  I do give it credit for chasing me out of the waiting gate to explore those sterile looking corridors.  It became my major walk for the day.

The last flight to home was sweet.  I met a young woman, Mila, an actress, who also considers herself a destination walker – that is walking with a purposeful intent.  Maybe you could call her walk a goal stroll.

And next to her was Dimitri from Russia who happens to be a traveler as well.  His mode for moving is ‘in the air’.  In fact he’s a pilot and flies 747’s.  He shared with Mila and I on his i-Pad, sensational NASA shots of outer space, planets and galaxies.  And finally he took us to pictures of his family as a proud father and husband would.  At least he seemed to have his priorities right.  I say that because CNN revealed the results of a survey done in America.  It appears a significant amount of people would sacrifice going to the wedding of a friend or the funeral of some acquaintance for going to the Superbowl game.

Such priorities are ‘off’ let alone putting the spiritual component in life at the forefront.

In any event ‘good luck’ in your careers Mila and Dimitri and put God in as the horse before the cart.

? km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a delight and blessing to meet you Swami, when I marathon walk my first country I will get back to you :) until then I will destination walk or how you put it goal troll (I like that) I also ended up running into Demetri again, charging at me as a friendly bowing 747 would, this time insisting I play a pilots virtual game! Something's never change. My blessings and safety as you continue to explore the world. Goodbye Swami, until next time, Mila.