Monday 6 February 2012

Sunday, February 5th, 2012

This Guy..
Markham, Ontario

This guy had a powerful set of lungs.  He was shouting at the top of his lungs. I admired him for his boldness. Unfortunately no one was paying any attention although there were quite a few folks milling around. As I zoomed along and then a little less so as I approached him I admit to being interested.

He was on a stand at the corner of Yonge and Dundas. A prospect for some acting role in the future perhaps.

I got within earshot of his actual words it became clear what was his purpose.

"It's not about Buddha. It's not about Mohammed, or Moses, or Lord Krishna or Vishnu. It's about Jesus." That's what he said. And as I passed by and increased speed for termination of interest, his voice appeared muddled. "He's on drugs," I concluded. The Jesus drug.

It takes all kinds of people to make up the world. Then I had to think of the people components that make up a spiritual community. For instance today was the birth anniversary of a very transcendentally eccentric personality, Sri Nityananda.

After two major functions held in his honour in both Markham and Toronto, some contemplation of Nityananda was inevitable especially when I passed by the extrovert.

Who is Nityananda? He just happened to be one of the forerunners of spreading the mantra culture in 15th century India. He was a major associate of Chaitanya, known as the Father of the Name. He was known for his daring feats which included wrestling with crocodiles, attempting to milk a bull and shouting in the mood of a young cowherd boy like those buddies of young Krishna in His rural setting.

One of the more notable pastimes involved his dealing with a particular tough audience. In his effort to attract people to chanting he successfully brough out the best in a pair of drunkards, Jagai and Madai, a stubborn couple of guys. They made a major life-transformational adjustment after gaining Nityananda's empathy.

When I thought about that it came to mind on my return trek on Yonge. The proselytizer was still there condemning the world that didn't subscribe to his sermon's message. Who knows? Someone out there on the street might take to the prescription and improve. I wonder how many times he said the name 'Krishna' in his spiel?

7 Km

No comments: