Thursday 8 March 2012

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012

The Drive and Thoughts

Kolkata, West Bengal

The drive from Mayapura to the Kolkata Airport ended up being a very contemplative one. One month of activities zipped by so fast yet some reminiscences were captured. The many appreciations on last night's performance of "The 8th Boy" came my way; remarks like:


"it's the best thing I've ever seen"

and

"it was genius"

came my way.

My walking wasn't what I wanted it to be. They were a daily collection of jaunts from this engagement to that engagement and not the usual longer treks. So I couldn't savour that. But a lot of interest was drawn when I wore those five-finger shoes. I had a good number of swamis inquire about my vibram footwear which are next to looking like black bare feet.

On that topic of barefoot bliss it fascinated me, once having arrived at the airport and peering through the Jet lite flight magazine, an article on fitness. Author Kriti Saraswat raised some awesome points on barefoot culture.

"The reason our body can make various movements like running, jumping, walking, etc. without falling over is due to a phenomena called 'proprioception' which is the body's awareness of its own motion and position... Wearing thick, shock absorbing soles reduces this sensory feedback, in turn lowering the quality of our movement."

She's actually right. Modern footwear makes your feet lazy. Like so many things today, naturalness is not the status quo.

It's too bad I have to surrender to sitting in the air for the next so many hours. It's actually an austerity.

4 Km

No comments: