Sunday 8 April 2012

Saturday, April 7th, 2012

Through the Grim and the Glad
Durban, South Africa
Last night’s drama, “the Witness” I decided we dedicate to
the deceased family that died in a car crash on their way
home from the Ratha Yatra festival. Garuda, Divyarupa,
Parameswara, Chandra Sarovara and 2 year old Varsana were
honored by an utterance of the Hare Krishna mantra. In
deliberation of this senseless tragedy which involved a
speeding road warrior coming in from behind this group of
people, I had to ask myself “Since the invention of the
automobile how many folks lost their lives globally from
such accidents? What are the stats?” I think it would be
quite alarming to hear the figures.
Have you ever heard of pedestrians dying of collision?
I guess the most impressive feature of the festival today
is the youth tent. It is AC’d and is designed on the
interior for dance. I was introduced as the Dance Master.
To the beating of djembes executed “live” by five
drummers. I was given one half hour of sweat driven dance
steps to conduct. The place just rocked with feet, hands,
heads, everything in between, and mantras stirring a
vibration.
As the lively ordeal came to termination, my dear god-
brother and monk, jayadwaita Swami , came through the
crowd and towards me. He was about to prepare himself for
a talk when he came straight towards me and asked a
question facetiously, “Are you Black?”
“Well Maharaja, I feel like I am inside. It’s what makes
me dance,” I said.
Now to tie together my earlier report about grim death and
lively singing and dancing, the message is that through
sad or happy circumstances always chant and remember that
divinity must prevail.
6 Km














No comments: