Thursday 5 April 2012

Sunday, April 1st 2012

So I Managed
                       Durban, South Africa

So I managed to pace the Mauritian Airport going up and
down the hall. I suppose travelers, many of them from
France, Europe in general and South Africa must have been
getting sick of seeing me. But really I'm sure that monks
gazing has its merit.
I'm sure it strikes a curious news. I'm sure it reaffirms
one's already spiritual commitment, if there be one.
I certainly try not to get too conscious of them.
My concentration is on the mantra and watching where I am
going. Just to extend the distance of this puny airport, I
zig-zagged the popular ails of the duty free shop. Surely
there is nothing there for a renounciant to be enticed
by. I was only looking for space. The odd person became
slightly surprised when I would appear to whip around a
corner of a shelving unit. I was just determine to get
some walking in.
After a four hour plane ride along with companion Kala, we
arrived at King Shaka International Airport in Durban, my
thirteenth annual visit here to this city.
Being the day of Ram's birth, Ramnoumi, the community is
held in the spirit of celebration. When a sannyasi arrives
at a location the community embraces the coming. After a
shower and a nap, I was whisked away to a packed house in the
ISKCON temple. Unsure of a theme or topic from which to
speak, I requested any book by our guru, Srila Prabhupada.

A talk to a devotional crowd is incomplete
without this starting point. An excerpt from His Divine
Grace is my dependency. And so we spoke of dharma, duty
and obligations.
My dharma in South Africa is to provide devotional
entertainment for the upcoming chariot festival. At my
disposal in the evening were thirty youth. Such mercy! We
started rehearsals.

5 Km

No comments: