Thursday 5 April 2012

Wednesday, April 4th 2012

The Booms

Durban, South Africa

By 6 AM the taxi vans in Durban shake the land with their
explosive music. Speakers of substantial size installed in
their interiors boom out the loudest percussion you’ve
ever heard. The windows are lowered down in order “to
advertise”. Passengers no doubt live sound. Our temple
is situated on top of a hill in Chatsworth where reception
to the beat is particularly good. I was having a shower
right next door in my designated apartment when I was sure
it was a tremor that hit us. I was concerned, but then,
”Oh yes, those are the taxis”. I reminded myself. I recall
on my first visit thirteen years ago that this resounding noise
of glory startled me like it does anyone who first comes
here.

Way before the taxi tremors of the day, the air is good.
At 2:30 to 3:00 AM my time for meditation and walking
circumambulation has begun when temperature and breezes
are just perfect. Winter is setting in, but for a Canadian
it certainly doesn’t seem like it. By 4:30AM an arati with
the standard songs commences with a subsequent personal
reading, writing and then class. Kadamba Kanana Swami a
monk from Holland, spoke about the history of the Ratha
yatra in Jagannath Puri in India. He spoke well as usual.
Profound for me was a line he quoted from our guru,
Prabhupada, when a disciple said to him,” “Prabhupada, I
just want to hold on to your lotus feed” he remarked,
“that will be very difficult because my feet are always
moving”. The bulk of the day was a ten hour drama practice
with thirty youth. That’s quite a load to handle. In
devotional service there is always something to do. If you
catch yourself with free time it is likely a very bad
sign.

10 km










No comments: