Sunday 30 December 2012

Friday, December 28th, 2012

There And Back

Toronto, Ontario

I was asked to speak on plans for happiness at The Bhakti Lounge by coordinator Mangal Aarti. Instead of looking for a ride to the 3 KM destination, I decided that a walk would be superior, it would trigger thoughts on the subject. There’s something about moving your limbs and catching the air that the brain likes. At a quick clip I paced my way down Yonge Street while gathering quick thoughts. I had 30 minutes to reach the venue and to have at least a few points to present, “plans and happiness”.

Once I arrived I sat in a circle with tea lights all around as people came to fill in the spots. We began the chant “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare”. And then a talk – my talk – no – God’s talk. I’m an instrument. I must remind myself that I’m an instrument, I’m a parrot, I repeat His message. I might be able to do it in my own oration with individual personality, but I am obliged to present the message as it is.

So I began.

“You’ve heard the saying ‘if you fail to plan then plan to fail’. Right?”

People set their plans for happiness. It’s particularly like that in this holiday season, but let us bear in mind that happiness is such a relative term – short or long term – there is a need to take a ‘wholistic’ approach to this. You can’t just invest in the body and neglect the soul, after all, happiness comes from within. You don’t require external channels to realize the absolute joy inside.

I reminded the group from my previous visit, “We are not these bodies. We are spirits. Let’s feed the soul.” And so that we did – with kirtan, chanting. As usual, everybody loved it.

A rapid return in 30 minutes to the ashram got me in time to rehearse with the actors and techies on a new drama, Gita: Concise.

6 KM

No comments: