Tuesday 22 January 2013

Saturday, January 19th, 2013

On a Christian Radio Show
 
Edmonton, Alberta
Fred has been dealing with schitzophrenia since he was young. He is regulated in taking his medication and has also prescribed himself to chanting Krishna’s mantra since the 70’s, although, he’s admitted to me, “It’s been on and off.” He is liked by the community here for being a good helper.
After a radio interview with Drew Marshall today, Fred and I went to walk through a quiet industrial park. Why quiet? Because it’s Saturday. Few businesses are open. Fred did great with chanting as we walked.
I had waited for this walk anticipating the interview for Drew’s Christian based show. While indoors it had made sense to read one of Steven Rosen’s latest books, “Christ and Krishna: Where the Jordan Meets the Ganges”. In a spiritual cultural atmosphere, you would never call anything or any incident a coincidence. Everything is divinely arranged. I thought it was interesting that I recently acquired this excellent read, and at the same time had been slotted on my first time Christian radio show.
The interview was at 1:30 Mountain Time, live, and opened up with the song, “My Sweet Lord”. I couldn’t make out the vocalist, it sounded like James Taylor. I could be wrong. Then Drew introduced myself along with a Reverend Lillian and Tim, who I believe is a regular on the show. Drew had mentioned about his visit to our Toronto temple at Christmas time. He asked me amicably the same question on the show as he did when he visited us. It went something like this:
“So, Hare Krishna. It conjures up images of bald heads, robes, tambourines, airports, selling flowers and so on.” I explained about our historical background and how our guru, Srila Prabhupada, came from India to teach a higher consciousness.
A question came, “Do you believe in God?” Answer, “Yes.”
“In one God or many?”
“It’s monotheism. One God, but many manifestations of the one God.”
“What about Jesus?” I answered that we have acceptance of Jesus and that Krishna devotees see him as their guru. We say he’s an avatar. To that, Drew mentioned about James Cameron, the film director who named his latest blockbuster after this Sanskrit word. The interview went pretty smooth.
I must admit that I was ready to be thrown a curve ball. Something to the sound of, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one cometh unto the Father but through me.” It is that exclusivistic statement that so often a Christian follower poses.
Well, in Steven Rosen’s book, he explores the quote from John, 14.6 of the Bible, translated from the original Greek as meaning, “I am the way, the truth and the light and no one presently comes to the Father except through me.” The critical word appears to be erkatai. Rosen explains that this is an extremely present tense form of the verb.
Anyways, such a curve ball never came on the interview. No such challenge. I wouldn’t have minded, frankly.
11 KM

No comments: