Tuesday 12 March 2013

Sunday, March 10th, 2013

A Fresh New Pilgrim
 
Mayapura, West Bengal
 
He was statuesque. He looked like a deity. I was making my rounds trekking the perimeter of Mayapura complex when I saw this young devotee wrapped in a white chaddar. His round face was adorned with a bold tilak mark. He looked sedate.
 
It was 3 AM and only he and I seemed to be up at this great hour. Standing by the side of the trail outside the Chaitanya Building, I was about to pass by him when I decided to reach out. I merely touched his right elbow, the elbow visible to me, as a greeting. He took it as a sign to keep moving.
We made no communication with each other than remaining firm on our individual japa chanting. We went for a good hour going "goom goom," a circumambulation, around our guru's samadhi. There was an understanding that we are doing the pilgrim's thing. We were being reverent towards the name of Krishna chanting on our beads while walking. This went on for a good hour until it was time to enter the samadhi for an arati. It was only after the ceremony was over that the two of us spoke. I broke the ice.
 
"What is your name?"
"Manoj."
"Where are you from Manoj?"
"From Dehli. This is my first time here."
 
From that remark I could understand why he was, in a way, so glued to me, as a follower. He had no direction especially in the early and dark hour. I was honored to be part of his introduction to this sacred place without knowing. He then followed me to the main temple to see what that was all about. A ceremony for the sacred tulasi tree was about to begin. The microphone came to my lips. It was obvious what I was to do- to lead the singing. Manoj partook and really enjoyed it.
 
I continued walking from there. Manoj had merged into the crowd. I made my way to the garden area. Tomatoes, eggplant and squashes were making their way to fruition. I always feel great amongst growing vegetables.
 
I was astounded by something I read regarding agro-culture in Bhakti raghava Swami's new book, 'Towards a Global Varnashram Culture' wherein he quotes Benjamin Franklin.
 
"There seems to be three ways for a nation to acquire wealth. The first is by war, as the Romans did , in plundering their conquered neighbors This is robbery. The second is by commerce, which is generally cheating. The third is by agriculture, the only honest way, where a man receives real increase of the seed thrown into the ground, in a kind of continual miracle, wrought by the hand of God in His favor as a reward for his innocent life, and his virtuous industry."
 
10 KM

No comments: