Saturday 30 March 2013

Thursday, March 28th,2013

Meeting A Great Family

Durban, South Africa

The temple here in Durban attracts tourists. I happened to notice a family from Europe, Germany to be more specific, who came to browse around. It was a man, a woman and their twi grown daughters. We started talking.

He mentioned he had walked the Camino in Spain, a 600 kilometer stretch, some time back. That subject was something common ground.

I did not bother to ask what spiritual affiliation the family had if any. I was glad they took the time to check out Krishna. I did offer some basics of Vedic Culture and also mentioned my reason for being here from Canada. “I am here for the festival of Chariots, held at North Beach”. The festival is dubbed as “Cultural Many. Spiritually one”. And the city of Durban pays for the whole event. There will be various speakers, gospel singers, the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra, and many spots for renowned kirtans singers participating in something called Kirtanuity.

I don’t know if that excited them enough about the beach front event held every day during the Easter weekend but they had come this far. German tourists can be found everywhere. I see them in Cuba. I see them in Canada they appear to be a very resourceful group and not to be terribly stereotype when I say this – they are a quiet group when they make their journeys exploring the whole world. To their credit they are usually “on time” for things and orderliness is a clear feather on their cap. I appreciate such qualities of being sattvic, in goodness.

A flu restricted my walking output. Embarrassed to say, I could only conjure up 3 KM.

No comments: