Wednesday 10 April 2013

Monday, April 8th, 2013

View and Read

Dubai, UAE

At the home of Amar and Priya in Flacq, I felt at home for the last few days. I rarely sit down, relax and view material on the screen that is stimulating. I did however, in the comfort of their home get the great fortune to peruse some of the animations of Krishna’s wondrous pastimes. India, where these animations are produced, is progressive in the graphic and animation department. These animations are excellently rendered and are entertaining and uplifting. I snuck in moments of viewing these DVDs between walking and speaking engagements. You actually grow more and more fond of Krishna as you watch the episodes. So goodbye Mauritius and hello Dubai.

My long wait at Dubai Airport afforded me the time to sink into the latest book by Bhakti Tirtha Swami (now deceased). He’s one of my favourites in the monastic category. In the book “Surrender: The Key To Eternal Life”, I read with interest the chapter on the language of selflessness. I’ll take an excerpt:

“Frequently viewed as the opposite of egocentricity, this sublime quality acquires deeper layers of meaning from a spiritual perspective. Real selflessness, ironically means giving more attention to the self – that is the real self, while at the same time putting aside the false self. As the real self, or soul, is pure, it is always involved in acts of compassion and devotion. The soul is sat cit ananda vigraha, that’s eternal, full of knowledge and enchanting bliss. Selflessness, as a word normally used in the English language, frequently implies negation of self, whereas spiritual selflessness means affirmation of the real self.”

Thank you Bhakti Tirtha Swami!

3 KM

No comments: