Monday 8 April 2013

Sunday, April 7th, 2013

We Are Fun-attics, Not Fanatics

Flacq, Mauritius

One most blessed thing about a monk’s journey is his being like a bee. A bee travels from flower to flower extracting essence. Something rich and thick comes out of the whole endeavour.

I feel like one of those lucky bees who get the most out of a few moments with dear god-brother. In my stay in Mauritius and recent trip to South Africa I was able to have those few precious moments with monks BB Govinda and Indradyumna Swamis as well as some sung heroes, more the likes of Mahatma who is currently conducting seminars on the island. Sri Niketan from Switzerland and song writer and entertainer Jayadev from the U.K. crossed my path, or rather, I-theirs. Bhakti Chaitanya Swami also gave me a few bee buzzing seconds of nectar with his words of encouragement.

I really have to rejoice about this and especially feel an elation about today. An approximate twenty people joined me on the walk from 5-7 AM followed by a class from the Bhagavatam. That was nice but I also want to add that I believe to be fully recovered on this day from a miserable bug I picked up in India. There’s no more nasty cough. So I figure that is victorious after a month of it tagging along.

“It’s a freeing feeling,” I mentioned to Sri Niketan. “Spiritual life is good. It’s fun. It’s for the fun-attics and not for the fanatics.” He was also extending the invite for next year.

My last class delivered on the island of Mauritius was during an initiation for Vikash (now Veda Vyasa) and his wife Meera (now Malati). I spoke from the Gita 9.10 on how all in the world is controlled by one Supreme Will and that as a guru that all I should be doing is directing people to the Supreme Will.

I’ll miss the viciousness of Mauritius, the sweat and the humidity and I say it with a dash of sarcasm. Truly I’ll miss the people as it already is the case as I embark on Emirates flight 3704 headed for Dubai and then Toronto.

10 KM

No comments: