Friday 12 April 2013

Wednesday, April 10th, 2013




A Special Letter

Toronto, Ontario

I received an encouraging letter from a chap up north and who is pining to be among the pines. He expressed to me his wish to do a mega walk.

“I have an incredible sensation from my soul urging me to walk across Canada for the Cree Legend, the White Buffalo… Guidance in this matter would be much appreciated.”

So I responded to my friend who’s part French and Native, and some Dutch, that I would be happy to share some tips. He qualified his urge, “I feel a need to do this. I would hate to die an old man somewhere saying to myself, ‘what if?’”

At least I shared with him how I rise early. I try to hit the trail by 4 AM at the latest. I also mentioned how you learn in a pilgrim’s shoes to take in the intensity of what comes your way – rain, snow, piercing snow, winds, black flies and so on. It humbles you going through all of this. At the same time it’s awe inspiring being this tiny fragment in the powerful face of nature. Appreciation for the Source of this nature also becomes strengthened.

I thought, “Here’s someone on the same page if not the same trail as me.” It would be great to meet him some day. I like those folks that have this inner drive and like to impose upon themselves a challenge.

He mentioned to me that at age 16 he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, but feels himself “stronger today than yesterday.”

The Creator made different kinds of people, each being wired differently. Some are like dragons, they want to do something bold and larger than life – something a little out of the ordinary. Nowadays, if a person insists on walking or cycling and not moving around in a car, he might be considered different, unique, or even weird. I would like to offer a toast to such wonderful weirdoes. My idea of a toast is a piece of toast put through a toaster with veggies generously slapped on top.

7 KM

No comments: