Thursday 23 May 2013

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013

Let The Ritual Begin
 
Toronto, Ontario
 
I was taking a walk with a person having difficulty in his marriage.  Looking for some refuge, he decided to speak his mind, so I offered, “Did you get counseling?  Do you both want the relationship to work?  If so, then agree to seek help.  As a sanyassi (monk), I can only hear so much about your personal details, therefore, I defer the issue to the experts.”  We reverted to walking and doing japa chanting for the time being.  I got to thinking, you sometimes see couples taking that hard walk together.  They’re not exactly locked in each other’s arms, but they’re also not arguing with each other.  I didn’t suggest to the anguished walking buddy next to me if he would think about applying this method with his spouse, perhaps it was a bit idealistic, or even presumptuous to consider and suggest that a good hard stroll under the canopy of trees and over stones or dirt as opposed to asphalt could be a solution to conflict.  Yet such a daily habit of companionship could have its great merit.  Perhaps there is a magic to it all.  It would be as simple as saying when you cook for a group of people with love, that group is likely to bond quite well, instead of ordering stuff from outside.
 
“Yes,” I suggested to my friend, “you two should walk it out together, let the magic take place, let the ritual begin.  What have you got to lose?”
 
5 KM

No comments: