Friday 3 May 2013

Wednesday, May 1st, 2013

Saw Much

Boston Bar, BC

The arrangement was that I would leave the house of my stay and make a head start on the road back to Vancouver before getting picked up.

It was 5 AM. The sky was then slowly lighting up when I set foot on the dusty mountain road. Trees of evergreen were at my either side and then they disappeared, or thinned out, to reveal a tranquil space of sage bushes. The scent of it was arousing as was the sound of a loon hauntily making his cry that was soaring above me. Every curve of the road is a remarkable surprise of sight as the path had me descending down a winding lower elevation.

A hawk shrieked at the top of a dead pine. He more or less merged into the tree as camouflage. Then I heard below the sound of a roaring truck, ironically, as I was gazing at a gorgeous vista of the meandering Thompson River. You could see for miles. Then, came to view, the trail trekked before. It was Highway 1, the Trans Canada Highway.

Following the flow of the river and the line of the road, I spent my 2nd hour here, traffic was sparse. One couple pulled over though and offered a ride. I assured them that my ride was on its way. Finally, my ride, Mahidar and Nandini came. We drove in through a clear day. All was good except for the vehicle, a Ford Escape, whose transmission gave way. A tow truck came to the rescue from Boston Bar, then a taxi at Chilliwack, and then to complete – a rented car to Burnaby. Final destination. We felt like souls being reincarnated over and over again.

The cab driver was Anil Kumar Bharadwaj from Delhi. This, he very well articulated. He is a lively guy, proud to be from India. He was taken by the fact that us three white persons had Indian names. When I asked him in our conversation if he knew the temperature outside, he said, “It’s 40 degrees – in Delhi.” Of course, I meant, what is the temperature here in BC? I actually caught his mind still in India. You know, one day we could all be in Vaikuntha, the spirit world, and we will remain there. That will be the day.

12 KM

No comments: