Tuesday 11 June 2013

Saturday, June 8th, 2013

Perfect Day
 
Piney, Manitoba
 
This was perhaps one of the best days of my life.  As a way of prepping myself for the actual reconvening of the 4th cross-Canada trek, I resorted today to a quiet Prairie dirt road, where virtually few folks are seen.  The road runs parallel to Highway 201 in southern Manitoba close to the American border.
 
I have been reading part 2 of the book Radha Damodara Vilas, by Vaiyasaki, and I picked up the term, “a walk with God”.  This is in reference to a very popular monk’s talk at San Francisco’s Chariot Festival.  Vishnujan Swami spoke of the event in the 70’s, the presence of Jaganatha, the large image of Krishna, who goes for a chariot ride, replicating an ancient festival held in India where people promenade in procession, pulling God on wheels.
 
I like to think that the trek I am taking is “a walk with God”, that is, God in the form of the mantra:
 
Hare Krishna
Hare Krishna
 
Krishna Krishna
Hare Hare
 
Hare Rama
Hare Rama
 
Rama Rama
Hare Hare
 
The thought of a walk with God gave me joy.
 
And so did the weather… give me joy.  It’s been just perfect with a breeze at a temperature in the mid 20’s.
 
Today I also worked other leg and body muscles that don’t always get addressed.   In order to facilitate my support man, Daruka, I helped him move carrying collectables up and down stairs into a Uhaul.  It’s a good sign that he’s selling and giving away a lot of his cherished belongings which seemed less like treasure these days.  That shows he’s learning detachment.  Helping Daruka move his paraphernalia didn’t necessarily steal away the day’s upbeatness.
 
Finally, at the afternoon, up ‘til evening, I had a great but simple meal of baked potatoes and avocadoes at the residence of Rachitambara and family.  This lady is such a saint, and being with her and her friends put a groovy close to a perfect day.
 
20 KM

No comments: