Tuesday 3 December 2013

Sunday, December 1st, 2013

The Flying Monk?

Varadero, Cuba

It dawned on me that perhaps I should start a blog called The Flying Monk since I’m so much in the air.  But, no chance!  Sitting in aircraft lacks adventure, so there really isn’t too much to speak about except for something that slightly humoured me today – about a couple next to me.

It was Sunwing Airlines flight 627 on its way back to Toronto when all was well with him and her until something was said by one of them that flared up a snarl and a growl which went back and forth for a while.  It was irrelevant what the topic was.  It was none of my business and it was kept hushed enough in volume that it remained private.

Some ambivalence struck me though when I sat through this, especially when the communication broke off.   Initially I felt bad for them, but then I reasoned, hey, this is just normal, get real.

She was in the middle of us two.  When they stopped talking to each other, she switched angles with her body and then swung over to my side to pretend to shut off and sleep.  She practically leaned on me and that was just when I thought I’m glad I’m a monk and I don’t have to go through this type of thing.  I enjoy my singleness.

She sat quite resentful for a minute with her back to him and then turned towards him for one more moment to grab her passport which was set with his in the chair’s pouch in front of him.  She then placed her own passport in her own pouch.  Now, if that isn’t a clear statement about how one person is not on speaking terms, then I don’t know what is.

So now, here’s how a sneak look at the Gita’s chapter 10 comes in handy.  There, Krishna states, “Of subduers, I am time.”  Our grand prince and princess for the hour were taking a much needed chill time.  By the time we all landed, had gone through customs and were waiting at the carousel for luggage, I noticed they were friends again.

Indeed, time plays an important role in life.

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: