Sunday 15 December 2013

Thursday, December 12th, 2013

Black Feathers

Burnaby, British Columbia

My walking today was not my idea of walking.  Weather conditions somewhat restricted my being in the out of doors.  Sometimes, out of a sense of duty I pace indoors as it’s important to be with others, so I confined myself to the temple where I could be with others.

Recently a survey was done revealing that Canadians are relatively happy with their work, in fact, thee happiest in the developing countries.  Another survey that went around revealed that when it comes to a sense of community or a sense of belonging, 90% said it’s not there.  With the deterioration of the family unit, the infiltration of secularism and a general mood of “I need my space”, we can understand the reason for such results.

I did at portions of the day pick up my meditation beads and pace in the apartment given to me for my three week stay here.  It becomes a C shaped trek, back and forth venture between two rooms where I curve to dodge the furniture.  At one point I opened the door to the real world with the real air.  There, in front of the door was a gathering of crows.  With a fresh white blanket, an inch deep snow, this feathered community seemed to have less access to food.  Two dried up chapattis were left on the dinette table, so I found the opportunity to have those cracker like pieces tossed out to the crows.  They were ecstatic.  I envied their “togetherness”.

Rain had been coming down, turning the snow to mush or slush.  For this reason I guess the dynamics force people indoors into their cubicles.  Although there is facility available for group fun and work, few people make the effort, even in this devotional setting.

I have to ask, what’s happening to human beings?  We have lost our sense of interdependence.  We are going the route of depression and despair.

Keeping in mind the active crow community, I am inspired to do something.  While I’m here I will attempt to pull together some drama, as in theatre, with the intent to engage members in a positive way, to bring them together.  I must try to be a part of the solution and not the problem.

Thank you, crows.

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: