Saturday 25 January 2014

Friday, January 24th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

A Hardy Hearty Trail

Dan is a diabetic person who comes around our ashram.   We had a great meal together, and as we did honour the prasadam (blessed food), a group from a walkers club came in for the same.   You are looking at a dozen or so people who seem to be retired folks.  Even in the 20 below Celsius weather, they brave the trails of hardened snow and ice.  Once I was told of a trail, one I’m familiar with, I got inspired, and asked Dan if he would go for a trek before the coming blizzard.

“Let’s go, Dan, it’ll be fun,” I said.  So he went home to put on extra layers of clothes and we headed for the ravine.

Dan loves to talk in a lively optimistic way.  But I let him know that with us so bundled up with two sets of hoods over our ears, we wouldn’t be able to communicate much.  He quickly resigned to the procedure of a meditative watch where you step type of trek. 

He at times asked, “Where are we, I’ve lost my sense of direction?”  as we snaked along trails that were marked by the footprints of previous trekkers.  Otherwise, the whole snow laden area was up for grabs, including the frozen ponds.  Actually, you make your own path.  I’ve never experienced a more severe winter in my six decades on this planet. 

Once Dan and I came out of nature and more to the street level, he got his bearings together, “You know, I really like this.  It’s a little tough, but I know it’s good for my health.”

“Yes, Dan, do a bit of this every day.”

When we reached the ashram, the redness of our exposed faces lingered for a good hour or so, even after a good shower.  It was an accomplishment that Dan and I felt great about, like an Arctic Conquest.  I got a lot of chanting in and worked up an appetite.  “Shall we do it again, Dan?”

“Absolutely,” he said.

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: