Tuesday 11 March 2014

Monday, March 3rd, 2014



Mayapur, India

The More Dark Side of a Mass Pilgrimage

There is something very embarrassing about the culture which I adopted and it has to do with when you are not able to walk through the crowds.  To have ten thousand people descend on a small town like Mayapura creates interesting dynamics.  It's a rude awakening of the lack of love.

The figure mentioned above is miniscule when compared to the millions of Hindu pilgrims who attend the Kumbha Mela or Mecca for the Muslims on their respective auspicious days.  There just is not yet the infrastructure in place to handle the hordes here in Mayapura.

Today marked another day of celebration - the tenth anniversary of a major installation of the deities, Panca Tattva.  A massive puja (worship) took place which increased the density of population substantially.

A pre-arranged interview with a group of UK students was my excuse for not attending.  Had the time been open, however, I may have declined anyway. I had a not-so-nice experience at the first program ten years ago.  I volunteered as a security guard.  I know that as a senior member I would have the honour to be up on the shrine area to partake in rituals but when I heard that pick-pockets were abound and going after female pilgrims' belongings I felt compelled to help and to be on the commoners' level.

I will not question the great amount of devotion that went behind the event but when a mob dynamic took place I was highly doubtful about the motives of some attendees.  A bamboo barrier was built for crowd control yet zealot pilgrims broke through the barrier after pressing and almost crushing other pilgrims situated next to the temporary wall.  The 'mob' broke through.  They also succeeded to burst our line of security.  We joined hands to indicate 'this is as far as you go.'  We were no obstacle of course.  I had to conclude that this is not devotion.  It left me a little physiologically scarred to see this fanaticism and lack of concern for others.

I joined a love movement and not a shove movement.  Finally, complaints about this days' similar lack of control went to the administrative level, as it should.  We are looking at the growing pains of a fledging society.  Let's endeavour to take the rudeness out of it.

The way I look at it, this is an opportunity for organizers to render a service that would provide safety to others.  It falls under the category quite aptly as, 'devotee care.'

May the Source be with you!

5  KM

No comments: