Tuesday 11 March 2014

Thursday, February 27th, 2014



Mayapur, India

I Was Dozing

I was dozing during a meeting.  It’s not that the topic was boring, in fact, it was a discussion group that went up to the front of our conference room to address the milk controversy – ahimsa milk, which is milk from a non violent source, versus store bought milk.  The topic should be interesting.

Physically, psychologically, I struggle with long sit down sessions.  I need to move.  I get antsy.  One of my monastic brothers came to save me from the embarrassment of being noticed in my drowsiness.

Lokanath Swami needed someone to join him in a ceremony honouring an anniversary of 25 years of padayatra pilgrimage throughout India involving bullock cart, deities, and people on foot.  He got the permission, green light, for me to have an hour leave of absence granted by the conveners of the meeting.  It’s nice to know that the cause of kirtan (chanting) in procession with pilgrims is so much supported by the powers that be.  Once I descended down the stairs, I got my feet to the ground and to the starting point of a chanting session.  Traffic was halted, some of which were buses, cars, scooters, and even tractors.  Finally, our procession moved on and traffic was freed up.  It was a one kilometre long procession, and it was given priority.  I took the lead on singing while eager young men danced and pranced to the sound of mantra.   It was a resounding sound.  Sound speakers were plenty.  Drums, mridangas and djembes, were in full force.  Karatalas (hand cymbals) were clanging in full volume.

I was awake, very much so.  I took a dose of the ultimate panacea, chanting and walking, and it did the trick once again.  The dose got me out of the doze. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: