Sunday 30 March 2014

Thursday, March 27th, 2014

Columbus, Ohio

I Went To Prison

My dear friend, Akhilananda, from Salem, Ohio, took me to the Trumbull Correctional Center to see Arjuna, a prisoner (aren’t we all?), and who will serve time for another 8 years.  Because of his great conduct, officers and inmates at the institution love him.  He has been put in charge of the art department for the whole place.  Arjuna isn’t anyone I can walk with until he is discharged, but I can certainly visit him annually.  He gave the good news that he’s soon to be engaged which will last until marriage, and which also won’t happen until the sentence is terminated.  Both Akhila and I are thrilled about this new development and are impressed with Arjuna’s patience. 

To Columbus I went.  There, I had the pleasure to trek with our sole monk from Krishna House located in the Ohio State University District.  Nitai Gauranga is the name of the monk who accompanied me along the Olentangy River, a stream of constant water that flows to the Mississippi.  The city here has put incredible energy into revitalizing and beautifying the river banks and protecting it from erosion.  I’m told the trail along the way goes a good 22 miles. 

To be explored at a later date.

Finally, evening came along and the usual Thursday gathering showed up.  From the Bhagavad Gita we spoke on 11.54 regarding unbroken service which repairs the broken heart. 

In hindsight, at the prison, a janitor asked, “What order do you belong to?” 

I had to repeat myself more than once, “Hare Krishna.” 

He obviously never heard the term before, and asked, “What kind of Christians?” 

I repeated, “Hare Krishna.” 

Thinking he got it right this time, he said what he thought I said, “Oh, Happy Christians.” 

“Alright, whatever,” I thought, and he went back to sweeping.

May the Source be with you!

8  KM

No comments: