Tuesday 6 May 2014

Monday, May 5th, 2014

Halifax, Nova Scotia
 
Last Day in Halifax
 
The hearty daffodils stand in all their glory. Even in the dark, early hours, they transcend without sunshine and with mouths wide open.  Raccoons screech at each other – a fight no doubt.  I can hear them, but I can’t necessarily see them.  For years in my travels I’ve heard their sounds, predominantly their whimpering.  Then the birds pick up with their morning welcome songs.  It’s all awesome, and it really beats the noise of the maddening traffic, when passions kick in and the nocturnal peace that’s punctuated with raccoon party fights is all done.  This transition of sound and activity is my observation for many years now on early morning early walks.
 
Corey and Theresa had us over for lunch.  Once again, I’m impressed what a little training has done for younger folks such as the youth.  Corey, in particular, travelled with our east coast monks one summer and is now enjoying the lasting and favourable effects.  He whipped up this fabulous meal for a group of us.  His service mood was excellent.  The apartment he and Theresa share is a small oasis of sacred books by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust.  They have a modest but beautiful shrine of Krishna deities.  They keep a clean place.  I see a smooth assimilation of Vedic culture in their lives.  I’m happy for this young couple who might otherwise be prone to stay on the grid of sense gratification.
 
With it being my last day in Halifax, I called on a small ad hoc meeting amongst faithful followers to discuss vision and organization for the sharing of Krishna Consciousness in this neat old city.  There’s a rich history here of the acceptance of waves of immigrants at this natural and national port of entry, of taking a major blow when explosives from the harbor went off a century ago, flattening the city, and of a ready response to burying hundreds of corpses, victims of the fateful Titanic.  I think we can fit Krishna into the multiple experiences of Haligonians, residents of Halifax. 
 
May the Source be with you!
 
6 KM

No comments: